Called and Gifted – A Spiritual Reflection
” WE WILL HELP YOU DISCERN YOUR CALL – WE WILL HELP YOU LIVE YOUR CALL ! “
Before one can live their call from God, however, it is necessary to first discern what exactly that call looks like. In order to assist in this discernment, St. Monica will be sponsoring a Conference/Day of Reflection entitled, “Called and Gifted” on Friday and Saturday, October 24th and 25th. Directed by the Catherine of Siena Institute our of Colorado Springs, the conference was developed by Author and laywoman Sherry Weddell and Dominican Father Michael White, O.P. and has been offered to parishes nation-wide.
Some FAQs about the Conference /Day of Reflection are provided below:
Why am I here? What is God is calling me to do?”
These are huge, life-questions whose answers help us discover our “call” from God, to determine our purpose for being on earth and help provide meaning in our life – a life filled with purpose and joy. Discerning your “charisms” can be a step in helping you discover that call, clarify your decision-making, simplify your life, avoid burnout and assist if you are going through a life transition. “Called and Gifted” is a way that can help you in the discernment of your charisms as well as God’s purpose for you in life.
What are Charisms all about?
You are not here by chance. God has called you for a unique purpose in our life – a task that only you can accomplish. To accomplish this task God has provided you with unique gifts or “charisms” received in Baptism and Confirmation. Charisms, or spiritual gifts, are special abilities given to all Christians by the Holy Spirit to give them the power both to represent Christ and to be a channel of God’s goodness to other people.
According to the New Testament (Ephesians 4:11-13) and the teaching of the Catholic Church (Catechism, Para. 951), all Christians are given one or more “long-term,” permanent charisms. These are empowered ways in which God uses you over and over again throughout life. Discerning your unique gifts and charisms can help you to begin to discern God’s call for you and how God intends for you to love and reach others.
What is “Called and Gifted?
“Called and Gifted” is a two-day presentation which includes the Church teaching on the laity and lay ministry, the nature of charisms, our individual call and vocation and how to undertake a process of discernment on what are our charisms and how God is calling us to exercise them.
As an initial step, “Called and Gifted” uses the Catholic Spiritual Gifts Inventory, an insightful tool for spiritual gifts discernment. Created especially for Catholics by Institute co-founder Sherry Weddell, the “Inventory” features a series of 120 carefully chosen questions, developed, and refined through years of experience. The “Inventory” will help you examine your work, relationships, and spiritual experiences in light of 24 of the most common gifts (or “charisms”) of the Holy Spirit.
Contents include a beginners guide to discernment; a description of 24 common charisms; and an explanation of Church teaching on charisms drawn from the Catechism, the Second Vatican Council, and the experience of the saints and outstanding Catholics throughout history.
For Whom is The Workshop Useful:
- Parents who want to help their children recognize the children’s charisms and live their faith.
- People in transition: changing jobs, facing retirement, returning to the workplace, new to the neighborhood.
- New or returning Catholics who want to explore what it means to live their faith as an adult member of our community.
- Catholics discerning a call to religious live, deaconate or priesthood.
- Parish staff, volunteers, leaders who want to nurture their spiritual life and assist in calling forth other disciples in the parish.
What Will the Workshop Teach Me?
- The classic and ancient teachings of the Church on the charisms of the Holy Spirit and how they work in the life of our parish.
- Five steps of discerning the unique charisms which God has given you.
- Signs and characteristics of 24 of the most common charisms of the Holy Spirit.
- How discerning your charisms can change your life and the life of others around you.
- How discerning and using your charisms can help revitalize, transform and grow the Parish of St. Monica.
What is the Schedule for the Conference/Days of Reflection?
Day 1, Friday October 24, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Place: Saint Monica Parish Center (gym)
- Our Mission as Christians.
- The Unique Role of the Lay People in That Mission.
- Taking a Look at the “Spiritual Gifts Inventory.”
Day 2, Saturday October 25
Place: Saint Monica Parish Center (gym)
- The Holy Spirit and Charisms.
- Pastoral Charisms.
- Communication Charisms.
- 5 Steps of Discernment.
- Lifestyle Charisms.
- Charisms of Understanding.
- Creative Charisms.
- How Discerning Your Charisms Can Change Your Life.
- Implications of Charisms Discernment.
- All presentations.
- Workshop materials.
- Breakfast on Saturday October 25.
- Hot lunch on Saturday October 25.
- Light refreshments throughout the day.
Where Can I Register and Get Additional Information?
CLICK HERE for registration and further information about our workshop / days of reflection (final schedule, location, cost, sign-up information, etc…), or visit the St. Monica Parish Website.