On Saturday October 10, 2015 the Archdiocese of Philadelphia hosted a one-day seminar on the topic of Parish Pastoral Councils. Presenters were Monsignor Stephen P.McHenry, Pastor of St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Ambler, PA and Father Charles Zlock, Pastor of St. Monica Parish in Berwyn, PA.
The goals of the seminar were:
- Emphasize the importance of Ongoing Pastoral Planning (OPP).
- Highlight the goal of OPP towards individual / communal renewal.
- Better understand laity’s roles:
- As dreamers (creating vision for future vitality of the parish)
- As planners (addressing present needs).
- Review elements of OPP:
- Encourage participants to develop a process of moving from parish plan to implementation.
- Who “implementers” might be?
- How to best accomplish this hand off of the plan.
- Review theological principles guiding collaboration between clergy and laity.
The PowerPoint slideshow notes from Fr. Zlock’s presentation are provided below: